There they were, the famous words—or infamous depending on whom you have been around—regarding wives submitting to their husbands and husbands loving their wives. I read them as I studied 1 Peter looking for insight into modeling Christ and the Bride.
I do not recall ever hearing teaching on them in context. By which I mean a marriage study of all of 1 Peter to get the letter’s context.
So I did my own study. Wow! The context is so important!
For my study I categorized all the verses in 1 Peter as statements of Reality, Identity, Mindsets, Goals, or Actions.
Here is a brief version of the Reality you must recognize, accept, and line up with in order to model Christ and the Bride:
- God exists as the blessed One, and the Father of Jesus
- Jesus is the son of God—carrying equal authority—and is Lord and Christ
- God, from His mercy and through the resurrection of Jesus, has reborn us into a living hope and an incorruptible and undefiled inheritance that does not fade away, waiting for us in heaven
- God, in His power, keeps us for salvation through faith
We must believe God—the Father of Jesus Christ—exists to accurately model Jesus’ marriage. We have to believe He exists and He created everything in order to grasp eternity past as the foundation for eternity future. Without that basis there is no way to model Jesus’ marriage.
We must believe Jesus is the Christ, the son of God, and the Lord in order to accurately model His marriage. We have to know Jesus in His relationship with the Father and in His authority to properly relate to Him, serve Him, and model Him.
We must believe in God’s mercy, the resurrection of Jesus, and that Father God has reborn us into a living hope and incorruptible inheritance in heaven in order to accurately model Jesus’ marriage by living as the reborn new people—adopted by Father God—with the hope of our reward in eternity.
We must believe God keeps us for salvation through faith to accurately model Jesus’ marriage because we must know God’s love and forgiveness to model love and forgiveness to our spouses.
In order to model Jesus and the Bride we have to know God exists. We have to know Jesus. And know Father God. And be reborn into true hope of our inheritance in eternity. And be kept by God through faith for salvation.
And that is just the beginning. That is just the basics of Reality.
- Modeling Christ and the Bride in Our Marriages (jasonmcintyre55.wordpress.com)
- God’s Desire (jasonmcintyre55.wordpress.com)